Has anyone ever heard of an allergy to bacon/sausage?

All about baby colic, lactose intolerance in kids or their food allergy. Share with others and learn from from their experience.

Moderator: Mario

Allergy to bacon/sausage

Postby jackie in MO » Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:05 am

My son would get horrible nose bleeds every time he ate hot dogs or bologna. My pediatrician thought that I was out of my mind, and told me his sinuses were dried out. I didn't give him the nose drops, and he hasn't had a slice of bologna or a hot dog since, and he also hasn't had a nose bleed either. He can eat other lunch meats like salami, and turkey, so I'm not sure what exactly is in the hot dogs. I have considered taking him to a pediatric allergist, but am not wanting to put him through the blood tests, etc. My baby is also experiencing a milk allergy/lactose intolerance. I am beginning to think that there is a link between that and my son's problems. In searching the internet I have found a wealth of information about food allergies, and the unbelievable things that they can cause. I also think that my oldest son could be having some behavioral problems due to some sort of a food allergy, also. Don't know if this will help you, but if anything I would definitely encourage you to have your child seen by an allergist. I know I will be getting some referrals soon. <p></p><i></i>
jackie in MO

allergy

Postby belle » Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:04 pm

someone in my family has that aswell i dont know what it is called but i do know its because your body cant have the stuff they treat the bacon and sausage with <p></p><i></i>
belle

re: bacon allergy

Postby hoppy » Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:23 pm

You could be right - since apparently suddenly developing irritable bowel syndrome a couple of years ago, I seem to have become sensitive to bacon, too. I'm in my late 40's. It doesn't happen every time, but often there's a bout of diarrhoea starting within about 10-15 minutes of eating even a small amount. I'm not sure if the reason it happens only some of the time might be because of differences in the chemicals used in curing from one brand to the next.<br>
My doctor thought I was nuts, too, but it's happened so consistently that there's now no doubt in my mind of the reaction. <p></p><i></i>
hoppy

Has anyone ever heard of an allergy to bacon/sausage?

Postby marilynbntyahooca » Sun Jul 03, 2005 10:32 pm

My almost 3 yr old daughter has a fairly severe reaction to bacon and sausage but not to home cooked pork. We think it might be an additive to the cured product and she is on the waiting list for an appointment with a children's allergist. She gets hives, swollen eyes and mouth area, has some wheezing and becomes a little irritable. <br>
Naturally we don't give her these products anymore but I have never heard of anyone with an allergy like this before.<br>
Any help you can give would be appreciated.<br>
Thanks. <p></p><i></i>
marilynbntyahooca

allergy to sausage

Postby mahimahi » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:13 am

i was just looking up this allergy because my friend thinks she may have an allergy to sausage...i had never heard of such an allergy either. if anyone finds out any more about this can you please email me at lovemahimahi@yahoo.com...i would be interested to find out how many people are having these reactions. <p></p><i></i>
mahimahi

Re: allergy to sausage

Postby lactose » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:12 pm

The allergy could be to MSG which many processed food have. It is a taste enhancer. It does not usually cause problems if used in the legal amounts, but many people are very sensitive to it. For instance, it gives me head aches. <p>Mario <br><a href="mailto:mario@lactose.co.uk"><font face="Arial" size="2">Editor</font></a></p><i></i>
lactose

bacon

Postby flick » Tue Aug 09, 2005 10:07 pm

i have a reaction to some bacon. I have noticed that it is only bacons which are preserved with sodium nitrate (or nitrite it may have been). it always upsets my stomach so i just have to be a bit more selective when buying bacon. <p></p><i></i>
flick

bacon - sausage poisoning

Postby sosorry » Sun Sep 25, 2005 6:52 pm

I am a 53 year old female finding out the hard way that bacon and sausage...and not sure what else....is poisonous to my body. Within 4 hours of even frying an egg in bacon grease (without eating the bacon) I am purging (violently) and have severe diarehha. I am left weak and only want to sleep for the next 2 days. I am just discovering this allergy. <p></p><i></i>
sosorry

sausage allery

Postby cweaver » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:50 pm

We feed my 22 month old daugther sausage links last night with her pancakes for dinner. She immediately started getting red around the mouth and on her face. As more time went on she got red splotches down her stomach, back and arms. She only ate one tiny piece. Can't figure out what happened. It was the first time she ever had sausage. <p></p><i></i>
cweaver

Sausage allergy

Postby Sarah » Thu Jan 26, 2006 1:08 pm

Ive always had a sausage allergy. I am allergic to alot of other foods so I think I am actually allergic more to the seasoning rather than sausage meat. I have grown out of many of my allergies that Ive had since I was born and Im now 20 but I do still react to some sausages so I just avoid them. <p></p><i></i>
Sarah

bacon achin

Postby Matty J » Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:05 am

<br>
I have had the exact same reaction to bacon a few times. Within about an hour of eating it I become violently ill and spend a sleepless night worshipping at the porcelain altar, purging violently and with liquid dairrhea, then ditto, sleep for about two days until my appetite recovers. I had thought it was a gluten reaction in retrospect as I have recently been diagnosed with coeliac, but another bacon excursion (the small amount in a gluten free quiche two nights ago) has made it pretty clear. No more slippery nights on the bacon! <p></p><i></i>
Matty J

Bacon Allergy

Postby Brenda » Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:10 am

Has anyone ever experience mouth sores directly after eating bacon. I eat bacon about once a month and recently have noticed instant mouth sores which last for a few days. Also rhinitis. Wondering if I am alone? <p></p><i></i>
Brenda

Bacon and ham allergy

Postby Susanne » Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:50 pm

Hi, Brenda<br>
I'm glad I'm not the only one who suffers like this. I never met anyone with this type of allergy. I was beginning to feel like an alien.<br>
My symptoms are swollen lips and face, itchy eyes, runny nose, rash all over my body and difficulty breathing.<br>
Maybe its the preservatives that they put into the bacon and ham but I'm not too sure. I've got to check labels on various foodstuffs esp. pizza to make sure they have no ham in them as even a tiny amount sets off an immediate reaction.<br>
I hope they find the reasons for this dibillitating disorder soon. <p></p><i></i>
Susanne

Postby phil621 » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:46 pm

Hi Im new to this , but i am intolerant to msg E621 and would like to talk to others about remedies and food to avoid<br>
Please advise thanks Phil <p></p><i></i>
phil621

Postby eddiejohnson » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:47 am

My first questions to you would be:<br>
How do you know you are intolerant to it?<br>
Proven by a doctor?.... Your own thought?....<br>
How does it manifest itself, rash?, physical problems? .....?<br>
I am merely asking for my own education at the moment.<br>
<p></p><i></i>
I am not a doctor. My replies are based on personal experiences and those of my colleagues.
I have no commercial interest in the products available on this website. I recommend only the items which I use or have used myself.
eddiejohnson

Next

Return to Colic, Intolerance & Allergy in Kids